As an engineering design consultancy providing professional CAD services, we have come to know the ins and outs of what makes a good, reliable Mechanical Design Engineer. Also acting as a recruitment agency, we need to ensure we supply our clients with the best Design Engineers available. Employing around 35 Mechanical Design Engineers in our modern office in the West Midlands, our design team possess the relevant mechanical engineering knowledge, combined with the correct attitudes in order to produce the highest quality CAD drawings for our clients.
When recruiting mechanical engineering design staff to come and work in our design office or for our clients, we look for the following skills:
- Broad mechanical engineering knowledge (this can be developed through studying, experience within mechanical engineering industries or by taking a keen interest in the subject)
- A high level of computer literacy
- Knowledge and experience with 2D and 3D CAD software packages
- A high attention to detail
- An innovative mind to find efficient, cost effective design solutions
- Dedication towards work and taking pride in design projects carried out
- The passion to learn new skills and develop new design techniques
- A thorough attitude towards their work, leaving no room for doubt in a finalised design
When recruiting for a senior design role, we will also look for years of experience and examples of success (in the form of a portfolio or references) in mechanical engineering fields relevant to the work we carry out.
We believe a good Design Engineer will work quickly, efficiently and meticulously, taking no shortcuts or skipping stages during the design process. Knowledge and experience with CAD software can be essential, so an individual has had experience learning particular software techniques in order to work efficiently.
As our CAD services cover the majority of engineering disciplines, the staff that we employ are from a variety of engineering backgrounds. Regardless of experience, no Mechanical Design Engineer will possess the same skill set, as they will all have certain skills which are geared towards certain industries.
If you’re looking to recruit or you’re looking for ways to make yourself more employable as a Mechanical Design Engineer, keep in mind that mental attributes such as attention to detail and passion for mechanical engineering can be just as important as skills and qualifications.